Friday, December 18, 2009

My Training Group

I have settled into my new role here at Nanshan Golf School and have my own group of students. My group is nice group of 8 golfers. It is nice to have a little smaller group as this allows me to do more individualised coaching and make sure that all of my players get the attention and coaching that they need.

There is a variety of skill levels and ages in my group which makes it challenging to ensure all the players get the information that they need. I have ages ranging from 12 years old to 22 years old, beginners and national squad players and both males and females. This makes the coaching fun and having the better players in the group gives the less skilled players something to aim for.

We started off their training with the usual group of evaluation tests. We tested their range of motion, basic strength, psychological profile, learning style and golf skills with a number of different tests. This gives us the starting point to develop the golfers to the level that they want.

There are different goals with each student. Some just want to play well in the monthly school tournaments, some have the specific goal of making the China National Squad and some want to be professional players. I always make sure I know what the players want before we start on any training program.

All of the players are being heavily coached on golf swing technique at the moment as well as completing their stretching program to develop their range of motion. They are also being slowly introduced to cardio training, fit ball exercises and body weight strength training exercises. We are moving nice and slowly as these ideas are generally very new to these students as golf is a new sport in China.

I will post again shortly to update their training and talk about how we deal with the Winter here.

Until next time,

Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment